Friday, August 28, 2009

Harvest Time... Eat Beets









If you happen to have a Mandoline slicer, it is an awesome tool for this job. I sold my pro version on eBay. It was causing me to have nightmares, wherein one of my grandkids found it and cut themselves. Of course, I must say the bad dreams resulted from the gruesome fact that my Excellent-Chef-Cousin Maria did just that, losing a sizable piece of her fingertip. That said, forgive the uneven slicing herein. Enough red juice splattered from my sharpest knife to stain my fingers; it looked like I participated in a bloody massacre. Regardless, the end product was delicious!

Scrub and partially peel fresh beets; slice and put into a baggie; add your best EVOO; salt if desired, using a kosher or sea version. I like freshly ground pepper, too... it adds some kick. Toss till coated and single-layer on cookie sheet. Roast at 400 degrees/preheated, turning once, for as long as it takes, or about 30-40 minutes! They will shrink; and baking time depends on how thick or thin your machine or manual slicer works! Cool to crisp, or eat them hot and soft; YUM! Even the kids will like these healthy "chips"!