Monday, June 3, 2013

"Doing My Vegetables" - A Bitter Broccoli Rabe Recipe

Today, I'm tapping into my Italian half; more specifically, Mom. Second only to family, food was her thing - especially vegetables. A trip to the farm stand usually resulted in an entire day of doing vegetables. Use your imagination. :-) She would have appreciated the market, this morning, with its rows and rows of greens, accented by reds, yellows, purples and oranges. And fresh broccoli rabe. It's so Italian. 
Who could resist?

As soon as I got home, I began doing it up. Steamed a bit and sautéed with EVOO, fresh garlic and a squeeze of lemon juice... that's right, make it even more bitter... a hit of pepper and a handful of crushed almonds. YUM!
While Joe dines on swordfish with tomato-sauced bow-ties, I'll just have mine green. 
Color Me, why don't you???!!! It's almost officially summertime.