Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Birds Of A Feather

Upon our return from Pittsburgh, we noticed the still-full hummer feeders and obvious lack of traffic. Nary a bird. Sure enough, all the wells were contaminated by huge ants of the disgusting black variety. Never a problem in previous years, we attribute the excessive population to the ongoing monsoon season we've experienced. Whatever. Down they came, to be purified in a healthy solution of bleach. I told Joe, "That's it! Let's put them away for the season and let the little guys feed from flowers."
But he was crushed and missing the sideshow on the patio. 

Gran in portrait on wall, as well as 
on right in photo with her sister, Mamie


In a lightbulb moment, I remembered the stand that came with the very same "Gran's bowl" often featured on CMI. Joe was skeptical, as I proceeded to rig the new station. I'd already consulted a virtual acquaintance who maintains a very interesting wildlife blog. One of her suggestions was to spray Pam on supporting shepherd's hooks stands. I did just that, creating a slippery ascent to sugar-water.

 Nothing last evening. But early this morning, I noticed a hummer... then two... then several. 
I fetched NIK, returning to find our resident catbird perched on the nearby bench.
"No," thought I, "there's nothing here for you-of-different-feathers."
But I'd forgotten about the birdbath. Cat, our very first customer, winged his way to a long drink.
Double happiness for Joe, who had added the pretty bath to our garden.
A peaceful way to start any day, wouldn't you agree?
Color Me
A GrandLove Connection
Birds of a Feather