Thursday, January 30, 2014

Good Shrimp - Bad Shrimp

Georgetown Shrimp Boats '14
As you know, our recent vacation brought us to Murrells Inlet, a place that touts itself as the fish capital of South Carolina. Surely, my mercury level shot up with all the fish I consumed while there. Ahhh, delicious. And a day spent in Georgetown brought us to the pier where the morning's catch of fresh shrimp was just being unloaded. I was impressed enough by that to have blogged about it, ironically commenting on the source of the shrimp we have access to. Nonetheless, when Joe came in the other night with a bag of frozen shrimp and a piece of goat cheese, my culinary mind was spinning in delight. We both love shrimp, tomatoes and goat cheese over pasta.
(Super Bowl Sunday IS coming, you know.) I tossed the crustaceans into the freezer and forgot about them, till last night.

"Joe, where did the shrimp come from, do you know?"

"No," responded he, "because I didn't have my reading glasses, so I couldn't see. But they're from a reliable store, so they should be okay."

NOT! Farm raised and packaged in Vietnam.

"UGH," said Joe and I in unison.

They are going back for a refund of over twenty smackers. Don't be duped. It's not just salmon that is being farm-raised in deplorable conditions and sold for our consumption. Please read this article
Here's an excerpt:
Consider this info the next time you want to order a shrimp dish at your local haunt.

Grossed out and uninspired in Monti...