Tuesday, February 11, 2014

So, Who Remembers LeeWards?

Vintage
If you do, you're probably a baby boomer, like I am. My girlfriend and I surely kept them in business, back in the seventies and eighties. The treasured catalogues would arrive in the mail and we'd retreat to our own living rooms to excitedly peruse them. We'd soon order our next batch of projects to satisfy creative sides. Unbeknownst to each other, we'd often select identical kits to complete, sometimes as a gift to the other. Surprise, surprise! Believe me, this was not for lack of items to choose from - there were hundreds.
To name a few…

Boatloads of seasonal items. Winter decorations and Christmas ornaments galore, many of which were made by Brian and Christian and adorn the tree to this day. Easter bunnies and eggs for Spring. Flowers for Summer. Pumpkins and cornhusk dolls for fall. And then…

There were the serious kits. Bags filled with fisherman's yarn for twin-sized blankets to knit or crochet. Gorgeous results were derived from explicit instructions, using implements also provided. I made two such blankets, back in the day. Frankly, I can't even relate to the "girl" who crocheted that intricate pineapple afghan. There's a funny story 'bout that…

Current
It has to be twenty-five years ago that the kids and I were cuddled up on the couch, watching TV. Even back then, I multi-tasked and was working on said blanket. During a commercial, Joe left his nearby LazyBoy and went into the garage for something. Suddenly, we heard his exclamation, "OMG, a bat just flew into the house!" Brian, Christian and I responded by bolting from the couch and racing upstairs. Thing is, I still had yarn and hook in hand… yep, you guessed it… multiple rows were unraveled, as we sought shelter in a bedroom. Joe got the bat. I lamented. The boys giggled. Oy vey. Nonetheless…

That first blanket was finished. Next one up from LeeWards was one for Mom. She used it till the day she left us and it has now taken up residence on our couch, where I enjoy a touch of her presence. Want to talk "quality"?? It has sustained hundreds of washings and remains as soft as cuddly as it was on Day One. 

After completing those two monsters, I lost interest in crocheting. Nothing radical, though... I just switched to knitting. And quilting. And a million other things that now include devices and even easier online perusing and ordering. But then…

Enter (link) Zu. She kind of got that hook back into my hand, when we met via her pattern for a very cool Rasta tam. Yeah, yeah, I know… so I don't have dreads or even big hair. Nonetheless, I'm loving my big, soft, cushy hats. I digress and would be remiss were I not to mention…

What happened to LeeWards? Gotta love a quick Google search. I had no idea:
Found on (link) ThriftyFun website, where it seems others are fondly remembering LeeWards, too!
If you're pining away for a kit, there are a few to be found on eBay.

Stay Warm 'n' Happy Crafting.