Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Inspired

Here at the Old Homestead, wrens have leased some space to raise a family of their own. BKAG gifted us this fabulous birdhouse. At six a.m. this morning, I planted myself on the portico in an attempt to capture some action, but these elusive little guys did not cooperate, landing instead in a nearby tree. This went on for about thirty minutes. I know, I know - I'm losing it. But honestly, if you're missing sunrise and early July mornings, you've allowed the crème de la crème to escape. Back to wrens... 
They are so tiny. Can you find one?
Meanwhile, my friendly doe quietly stepped out of the woods, immediately detected me and stopped for a good look. Evidently, I'm no threat to her. She strolled across the peninsula, munching on the leaves of high branches.
At the LakeHouse, Joe was inspired to take a picture of the newly planted window box. Sure, it needs a bit of Miracle-Gro to catch up to July; but nonetheless, it looks fetching. I love, love the lake reflecting in his shot. 
We managed to salvage my parents' dressers that have been in the L-H basement, since Mom passed away. Our infamous tenant never turned on the dehumidifier. Need more? The drawers were stuck fast and all needed sanding, in order to make them work again. Thanks, Honey. We've one more stubborn one on Dad's dresser. These have been in my life, forever. They are solid bleached wood of tongue-and-groove construction. Expansive, deep drawers have had lives of their own. As a kid, I loved to explore the top drawers of each. Dad's was filled with odds and ends like sunglasses, pocketknives and bow-ties. Mom's was always dedicated to jewelry, with fine and custom pieces mixed together. When they were burglarized in Massapequa, the intruder very efficiently separated the two, stealing old family heirlooms. Such a shame. Nothing was recovered. I digress. My parents had them refinished decades ago to an antiqued white, which had yellowed over the years. But other than discoloration, there was not a chip in either piece. I'm refinishing to black. Hardware shall be pewter. They're a work in progress, but here's a sneak peak, especially to satisfy Tigger's curiosity.
Won't you please stay tuned??