Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Steamier-than-Ever Heat Wave - Patrick Swayze 'n' Dirty Dancing

So, admit it. You've watched the film 110 times, right? And you still love it. Right twice?  I know, I know… I've been on a real celebrity kick. But hey, it's summer and the livin' is easy, with deep thoughts hibernating till wintertime. Here's the story…




We had a day like no other, this past Saturday. It was a very still 90 degrees with a feel of 99. No breeze at all. Stifling, even here on Golden Pond. We opened the door mid-morning, quickly shut it and proceeded to stay in the lovely air-conditioned house till 5:00 p.m. What to do? "The Olympics," suggested Joe. But I'd pretty much had them, ad nauseum. Let's try Freeform TV. And there he was. Yep, halfway through the movie, Patrick Swayze was dancing his heart out. It then became REALLY steamy around here. We watched, after which I commented to Joe, "You know, I could sit down and watch the entire movie again, right now." Well…




By Sunday, we were back in our lakeside comfort zone. Poor Manhattan, though… a continued nightmare for many days, with 3-digit temps. I digress. We were outside for most of the second weekend day, with Mambo staying cool next to the shaded shrubs. When we finally came in and flicked on the tube (still on the same station), guess what was JUST starting. Yep. You're right. And guess what I did, from start to finish. Yep. Watched it. Ask me how much I love that film, about the very Borscht Belt we live in. But…

I'm upset that ABC is in the process of remaking a new 3-hour film of "DD." There is something so wrong with that, in light or Mr. Swayze's passing way too soon. Even now when I watch, still loving him and the film, there is a bittersweetness about the experience. Too sad. But still, he owns it.

Now, not that I need another excuse, but intense heat brings on scary rains. So, when intense winds and boatloads of water came the next day, I couldn't help but wonder what was on Freeform…