Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Best Of

The best of "rare birds" has finally ap-
peared in our markets. What's with the scarcity of fresh turkeys, of late? Are beef industry bigwigs still pissed at Oprah and running some sort of underground campaign to keep turkey... well... underground? Today, though, just in time for next week's Thanksgiving holiday, a flock of fresh Shady Brooks greeted me from the meat case. I called Joe to say, "Yippee! I scored. You can stop looking."  With obvious glee, he replied, "Really? Are you making soup? Y'know, I bought that little thermos to take into the woods on Saturday." Okay, okay; soup it is, even though we stand divided when it comes to hunting.

Out came Ronnie's first Christmas gift to us, as newlyweds. The best of vintage Dutch ovens now sits range-top, filled to the brim with the best ingredients. My kitchen smells divine, and I'm being serenaded...

G-d gifted them and they sing to me - the best of 
Elvis, Neil and Neil, Marc, Mary, Bruce, Don and Phil, Andrea, Rod, Barry-Maurice and Robin, Stevie and Lindsey, Billy, Bob, Annie, Sarah, Ricky, MJ, Lionel, Barbra, Willie, Dion, John-John-Johnny and Johnny, Paul, George, Elton... jeez, the list goes on and on. 
I'm feeling contented, blessed, thankful, inspired. 
Often, the simplest things in life are simply
The Best.