Thursday, June 21, 2012

Karen Klein - The Greece Grandma

Just look at the AP picture, above. Please notice hearts and Teddies... a display case full of the latter... symbols of gentle love. What a heartbreaker that this lady was tormented and bullied by four seventh graders. Seventh graders!! By now, you've seen and heard the video, yes? If not, it is easily found via a Google search. I'll not be posting it here.

The boys' parents were stunned that their children could have displayed such cruel behavior. And the public? Most are mortified, already pouring money into funds to send Ms. Klein and her family on vacation. Why? 

Is it solely empathy that we're feeling? Or maybe there's a tad of guilt in each of us for having looked away at some point, as bullying occurred. I don't know. 

What I do know is our children are at risk, in school or on the playground or in cyberspace. And now, we have to worry about our Grands. I'm a Grand, and I've given the matter lots of thought. I don't know how I'd have reacted, in Ms. Klein's shoes. I do know that I'd like to throttle those four kids and set them up as an example in their school district. Then...

One district at a time, maybe the trend will catch on. Brand bullies. We need to eradicate vicious acts. Too many lives have been ruined or lost, in their wake.