Tuesday, October 1, 2013

CapeScape - So, Where Do You Souvenir Shop??

Generally speaking, Joe and I are not interested in personal souvenirs. We're in downsize mode and less is clearly more, especially in my view. We do, however, have little traditions we maintain - throwbacks from our own kids and now kept for the GrandLoves. So, when on ole Cape Cod, we always hit Cuffy's for yearly updates of warm and fuzzy sweatshirts.

This past trip, though, we'd not even gotten to our destination in North Truro, when we stopped in Wellfleet for some Dunkin'. A favorite antiques haunt happens to be nearby; just couldn't resist a quick peek. They'd just gotten in four Danish modern chairs, circa 1950's. Using a bit of imagination to get me past the green striped fabric that adorned them, I could just picture the gorgeous frames by our kitchen island. The shop-owner noticed my interest and quoted me a ridiculous price. Oooh-kay.
A few days later, we experienced some rain; I convinced Joe to head back inland to make an offer on said chairs. It was accepted. Joe was skeptical. I was thrilled. Since we didn't have Mambo with us, we were able to stack 'em into the trusty Hyundai. Yippee!

On the way home, I checked in with an upholsterer whose work we liked, many moons ago. Still in business. Yippee, twice

And so it goes and so it goes. When I researched the fabric I'd previously used for a small project, it had dropped from $40 a yard down to $16. Joanne's delivered, by way of Waverly, in just a few days. Yippee, thrice!

It's good that Joe trusts my design imagination. He's almost as thrilled as I am with the results. But we still needed a company test. 
It just so happens that Gav slept over last night - our first chair guest. He loved the homemade chicken fingers and fries I whipped up for him. And the Little Man found the chairs very comfy, commenting, "Especially this part, G'ma," as he pointed to the backrest.

After dinner and before freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, our Monday Maestro serenaded us with quite the little concert.
We're still shooting for a piano prodigy. Maybe? 
Not to worry. We found perfect sweatshirts for all of our babes. Now, won't you please excuse me while I put up pancakes and pack a lunch. I hear the patter of little footsteps, coming from upstairs.