Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Who Remembers The Late, Great Bobby Darin?

We were watching "Folk Rewind" on PBS, the other night. When Bobby Darin's "Simple Song Of Freedom" aired, we were spellbound. So talented. Done way, way too soon, to say the very least. And how appropriate to absorb once again during the week Nelson Mandela passed. But there's more…

It reoccurred to me that Ronnie and I had amazing childhoods with pretty progressive parents, considering the era we grew up in. Take Freedomland, for example…

My music-lovin' parents would choose Nat King Cole, Doris Day, Mario Lanza, Perry Como, Dino… the list goes on and on… for themselves. In fact, we danced in the living room every Saturday night to their beats. But up six steps to my bedroom and there resided Ricky Nelson, Elvis, Fabian, The Everly Brothers, Brenda Lee… yes, this list goes on and on, too! Yet there was never a musical generation gap. They encouraged the budding of different tastes and even took us to Freedomland to see Don and Phil. We stayed for two shows. (Need I say once again that I adore the Brothers?) And Bobby Darin. Wow! How lucky we were. 

BD performed in a tux, a carryover of his Vegas style. He was dressed as such for the PBS filming, with no guitar. But I really like the above version of the fabulous song he penned in crossing over to a different genre.

Music… ah, the memories it is responsible for. It never gets old, does it? And then

As though in confirmation of what I already knew, I came across Santa and moi amongst my parents' keepsakes. Joe and I wondered if it was taken at Macy's on 34th Street. Probably. It's true

'Tis the Season to bring forth all the buried and treasured memories that define us. Yeah, Gus 'n' Marge gave us a sound, loving beginnings. And the beat goes on...