Friday, April 4, 2014

"12 Years A Slave" - The Movie

Knowing we'd eventually watch the movie, I avoided spoilers. So, call me naive in my surprise that the true story of Solomon Northrup began not far from here in our beloved Upstate New York, where Mr. Northrup was born a free African American in July of 1807. That's all I'll reference about the must-see movie, so as not to spoil it for Friends of CMI, except to say that…

Some of the feelings I experienced while visiting Brookgreen Gardens were right on target. As beautiful as moss-laden oaks appear in sunlight, they harbor dark, harsh ugliness. Said I:

"At one time, there were four plantations on these grounds. It's freaky to stand where slaves once lived brutally difficult lives. It is such a dark part of our history; I shudder. But on the other hand, it's necessary to remember, so that we never return to those shameful roots…"

Hard to watch. Hard to listen. Nonetheless, highly recommended. Joe and I give it a solid Ten