Monday, January 30, 2012

Zucchini 'n' Me

After preparing Mom's homemade Meals On Wheels this morning, I began washing and scrubbing our veggies for tonight's dinner. It was a pleasant surprise to discover the package of baby zucchini I'd purchased at Trader's. I'm reminded of an anecdote that perhaps I've already shared, here on CMI. It's worth retelling, just for the giggle.

Many moons ago, when friend Linda lived just around the corner, she arrived at my front door with an armload of the fruits of her husband's garden labors. Howard loved to share the abundant produce. He once gave me a large baggie filled with cherry tomatoes, meant to share with Joe. I devoured all of them, during the course of my gallivanting, on that particular day. I digress. Back to the topic at hand....

As I held the door for Linda, she entered our foyer and from her arms spilled the universal giant of all zucchinis. It landed on my right big toe. And the rest is history. Once a year, that toenail dies and a new one sprouts... pun intended. If I say that this happened twenty years ago, I don't think I'd be exaggerating. That's a lot of sprouting. 

RECIPES:

As for these little ones, they are incredibly delicious raw... what crunch! For a hot veggie, I'll cut off the stems, slice them in half, lengthwise, and sauté with already-caramelized onions (so that crunch remains), fresh garlic, pepper, paprika and a drop of EVOO. If any makes it to tomorrow, I'll toss into an omelet. Endless options.

  It's lookin' like Spring around here.
Buon Appetito.