Thursday, October 11, 2012

Outrageously Doctored Cornbread

Trader's cake and bread mixes are delicious and so handy to keep in the pantry. I'm not always in the mood, nor do I have time, to bake from scratch. I like to doctor contents, for several reasons. Additions make great stretchers and keep us from devouring too much plain cake/bread, thus too many calories. More importantly, they add nutrients... in this case, lots of antioxidants. And then, there is the flavor burst of combos...

After spreading the batter more thinly than required, I topped with frozen mixed berries, chopped walnuts and cinnamon. Since it was in Pyrex, I lowered oven temp to 325 degrees and baked a little longer than box instructions required.
Ready For The Oven
It's incredible to bite into the sweet bread with corn kernels, fruit and nuts. I'd like it topped with Chobani plain yogurt, for dessert; but it shall go nicely as a side to our turkey-soup dinner, too.

Celebrate Convenience...Buon Appetito.