Tuesday, November 19, 2013

FYI - My Online Affair


To others, "O" might mean Oprah. But here at the Old Homestead, it symbolizes Overstock. I've been a fan for a very long time. As a matter of fact, ever since their site had exactly one page - that's right - one page of listings. A very early purchase was a 3-piece, tall, heavy wrought iron designer screen with 6 flowerpots. I used it on the corner of our patio for many years and Bri/Kell's wedding photographer found it (all done up with Impatiens flowers) intriguing for some great captures. It cost 50 bucks and weighed a ton. Well, not exactly a ton, but I need to impress that shipping has always been free or a total of $2.95, for Overstock.com. Go figure. This fact has made me a shipping cheapskate all over the internet. No joke. So, this all brings me to my bargain-of-the-week from the site that now has countless pages of items ranging from soup to nuts… or not exactly. But don't be fooled by "For The Home". I've found some pretty awesome sarongs 'n' such there, too. Is it almost summertime? I digress... FYI:

I've been Christmas shopping online for several weeks, now. One thing I've noticed is that even virtual inventories are not massive, these days. Shopping early guarantees success, especially for brand names. And besides, the price war has been going on forever. But this week, the best result of my wheeling and dealing came with a little purchase from the Big O. In search of a specific-but-relatively-inexpensive item for one of the GrandLoves, I found it on sale at O, reduced to a mere $15.99 from $24.99. I logged into the site through eBates, guaranteeing me an instantaneous 2.5% cash-back reward. When I went to check out, I found over $11.00 in Overstock money in my account - this from my 5% O reward on my last purchase. Shipping was free. Ahem. Just do the math! There's nothing like a nearly free stocking stuffer.

Have a good one. I'm off for some cyber retail therapy.