Monday, November 18, 2013

Picture This

We've not yet started to feed winter birds. Therefore, there are no decals on our huge picture windows in the living room. Still, you'd think avians would be smart enough to avoid them. Not so. It seems when they see their reflections in sparkling glass, inward flight occurs. They attempt hook-ups with imaginary pals of like feathers. You know -  Birds of a feather flock together. I digress…

While Great White Hunter was in the drenched swamp, yesterday, I was cozy on the couch, alternately sipping coffee, playing WORDS, reading a book, catching up with TV series and knitting a neck warmer. I multitask. However, the pitter-patter of the rain was soothing, and in spite of the caffeine, it seems I dosed off. Till...

A loud crash awakened me. The front window. Right past the dense holly tree. Look hard. There's a gray imprint left as proof. Can you see?
Thing is, there was no evidence of species lying on the ground. This Big Bird was resilient. Strong. Apparently, he flew away, leaving me wide-eyed and imagining the consequences had he come through the glass.