Saturday, January 23, 2016

WTF? Blatant Hatred in Stafford, Virginia

We've traveled back and forth on I-95 many, many times. We already know it to be a crappy drive - necessary to get to our destination most conveniently. But nonetheless crappy. And so…

Imagine the bile in my throat when I looked up from my WORDS game just in time to see the confederate flag flying high and huge over Stafford, VA. Envision, please, one of the largest American flags you've ever seen and you've got the image. I'll NOT picture it here, but shall share this one link. It's already paining me to mention hateful words and names. Yes, hateful...

"WTF?" asked I of Joe.

"I don't know," said he…

…both of us acknowledging that we'd never, as in not ever, seen anything quite like THAT before, leading to my quick research.

Friends of CMI know I've already got issues with the south, not to be repeated in this blog. I was thrilled when SC ruled to take the nasty down. But this? Well, seems neither Joe nor myself were aware of the Virginia Flaggers. You'll have to Google on your own, because I'm not giving them any more attention by linking. Be shocked. I was. Seems that as long as hate mongers deal with private property owners and have their own funding, they can do what they want. Now, please don't get me wrong…

I'm all for REMEMBERING. We need to acknowledge our roots and never forget the ugly capabilities of mankind. That's with the hope and prayer of never allowing those behaviors to be repeated. As a matter of fact, when the movie of the same name was released ("Roots"), I  somewhat advocated for it to be shown in classrooms nationwide. It's the same with the Holocaust. My Jewish half shudders. Correction: my Human whole shudders on all counts. We need to remember, albeit in horror. BUT…

…and this is a huge but, as my new acquaintance, Ayisha (spell?) so eloquently said about ugly, blatant visuals with malicious intent, erected to startle and to spread evil...

"We don't need to be (constantly) reminded," as with such a detestable symbol.

In sad conclusion, this is not the only flag of its kind. Again, if you're interested, just Google it all.

Will the world ever get past its racial and religious biases? Will there ever be peace? What exactly is our American dream?