Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Something So Simple To Soothe Society?


At six a.m., pre-java, I read Page 3 of our newspaper:


1."Police question teenager in shooting on playground"... local news of a visiting kid directing a BB gun's barrel into an elementary school playground, hitting an aide and a student. Thankfully, they were not seriously hurt in a physical way; but psychologically?

2."80-year-old farmer dies after tractor runs over him"...poor guy...irony in this one, and possibly the best of the worst stories. At least he met his demise in the attempt to do something he loved.

3."Phillipsport man charged in jewelry theft from home"...he's a "friend" of the victim's family.

4."Florida families protest against school bullying - Some feel district ignores issue"...bullied, amongst others, was a kindergarten student; my back is up.

5."Chester school chief charged with harrassment"...where are our children safe?

It's doubtful that I'll return to the paper today to read beyond Page 3; and I'll spare you the front page headlines. Suffice it to say that by six-thirty, Mambo and I had hit the photo trail to commune with Nature. I wonder if pooches and purple petunias (tulips?) possess healing powers....oh, to bottle something so simple to soothe society. Yeah, yeah; call me a dreamer.