Thursday, April 7, 2011

Blog-Browsing Brownies

Not sure if you've noticed that I've all but eliminated sugar from our diets. Except for the kids' cupcakes and "Tens" (my choco-chip cookies), I bake without it, subbing a touch of honey or pure maple syrup in most recipes. For a hit of chocolate, we've switched to the share of 86% cocoa Ghiradelli or Lindt. All good, right? Well, yes, except that every now and again, we crave the real deal. We are, however, satisfied after a bite or two, as sugar-y seems too sweet, now. Well, I'll be danged.
 I digress.

Seems that I saved this recipe from I-don't-know-whose-blog (SO sorry). It's for the simplest, quickest, cheapest brownies ever. My 9-inch-square agate pan seems to have gone missing. Chances are, I gifted it with product. Sooooo, I stretched the batter a tad in an 8 x 13-inch baker and decreased sugar from a cup down. Very nice; they'll do just fine, in all their simplicity, though they are not quite as chewy as their more decadent cousins:

Cream 1/4 cup butter with 2/3 cup sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa, 1/3 cup flour, 2 eggs, some chopped nuts and chocolate chips. Bake in sprayed pan at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes. Cut and cool. Buon Appetito.