Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Jackpot 'n' Carrot Cake

 In an attempt to pack some power into breakfast for the sometimes finicky Chloe, I hit on buttered buckwheat/cinnamon/yogurt homemade waffles, served with apples, mangos and strawberries, and garnished with pure maple syrup and a dollop of enticing whipped cream.
 The combo was then requested for several consecutive mornings by both kids!  "Well, it seems that I've finally hit on something," said I to Joe. In walked Chloe, who commented, "You hit the jackpot, G'ma." (She'll be four, on Sunday.) In keeping with a little decadence...
Every now and again, I break my own rules. Isn't that what they are made for? With killer sugar, bad fat and tons of calories, I offer up Springtime Carrot Cake:

1-2/3 cups sugar
1-1/2 cup canola oil
4 eggs
2-1/4 cups unbleached flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsps. baking soda
2 tsps. cinnamon
3 cups grated raw carrots (I mince in Cuisinart bowl)
1-1/2 cups chopped nuts
Handful golden raisins 
Beat sugar, oil, eggs on medium for two minutes; add dry ingredients and beat low for another minute. Stir in carrots, nuts and raisins. For one easy cake, spread in Pam-sprayed 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan and bake in 300-degree preheated for about an hour. I prefer making a couple of small bundt cakes or a combo of cake/cupcakes, as this freezes well. When ready to serve, frost with:

8 oz. softened cream cheese beaten till fluffy with
1/4 cup soft butter
Add 2 tsps. vanilla and gradually beat in a pound of sifted confectioners sugar.

Not recommended if you're dieting. Sigh.
Buon Appetito