Friday, April 29, 2011

A World Gone Busy

It used to be that thoughts of someone special prompted a spur-of-the moment phone call. The significant other would actually answer, happy to hear from you. A conversation would ensue, and a relationship would be refreshed. And how 'bout those missiles of love received via land mail? Do you have any saved, to read and read again, cherishing each and every syllable? Were we not busy, way back when?

Nowadays, phone calls usually result in icy machine responses, going something like this:

"This is me and I'm far too busy to answer but leave a message and maybe I'll get back to you or maybe not but when I have some unoccupied time it would be much better for us to chat 'cause certainly you're not as busy as I but if this doesn't work for you try my e-mail or text my cell and maybe or maybe not according to my busyness I'll respond but if not I'll catch you in a year or so when perhaps I'll have a spare moment or two to speak or text or respond to your answering machine... whew, I'm out of breath now and far too busy to continue..."  To which I say...

"Last month I sent you greetings of Birthday Balloons 'n' Bouquet and I'm wondering if you received or liked or trashed them even though you've forgotten my day and I'd also like to know how so-and-so is 'cause when you weren't so busy you kept me on the phone for hours sharing your concern never asking if I was busy but of course my busy is not nearly as important as yours and there is always time for compassion and also there's that party on Sunday that I've invited you to with an invitation that went out months ago and you've not yet responded so I need to know if one or ten or none are going to be in attendance and furthermore (lilt in voice here) I'm pretty busy too or shall I say occupied 'cause that's what most of us are unless of course you're a brain surgeon and have a patient with a bursting aneurysm 'cause that could seriously create a kind of busyness most are not familiar with and I'd certainly not be too busy to wish him or her well..."

ADDENDUM: The most productive people I know always have time, the most precious gift of all, for a significant other.