Monday, February 18, 2013

Paint This!

Our Loves

We're in the decorating phase in a couple of rooms. That's where the real fun begins and it's giving us a break till the next mess. Sure, there's lots of retail therapy involved. But there's also a ton of robbing from Peter to give to Paul, in terms of where items might land  There also comes a point when I refuse to spend $$$$'s if I accomplish something myself. Y'all remember (link) "Anything you can do I can do better", right? Case in point...

Two long green frames with off-white mats once resided in the living room. They were moved to the new kids' room with updated black 'n' whites. Thing is, the mats were not white enough to offset the pics; and besides, I wanted black mats. Joe took one template to a local merchant to have a set cut with a single bevel and no second color. How's fifty bucks sounding? Luckily, he called me and that brainstorm was nixed. Instead, I painted the mats and rehung the frames, but then the green simply did not make those beautiful faces pop...

Did you know that Home Depot sells three-dollar samples of any fancy-schmancy color you might desire? Well, I didn't; but a quick trip there led me to the discovery and a rainbow of reds, the desired color, to choose from. Yippee! Those puppies took three coats each, but the end result thrills me... and there's once again a tad more money in the bank...

Not to mention that I'll now be purchasing those little bottles of color for the kids' projects, rather than the pricey, limited acrylics available in craft stores. Why don't ya just...

Color Me!