Saturday, June 14, 2014

Mine ♡

The light green plant is a Live-Forever, scientifically known as Sedum Telephioidies, one of the hardiest succulents around. It's easy to propagate with just a snippet. Our first one came from Dad's garden in Massapequa, many moons ago. In the fall, it blooms lavender. It disappears in the winter. It's the first to poke a leaf through in the spring. Just a glance its way conjures up peaceful memories galore.
Yep. My Dad. He lives forever…

Maya once said, "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." And again, there's Dad, living through a quote. How he made me feel… like a princess on a pedestal, loved to the moon and back countless times. I remember his look of distress melding into relief and then boundless love, when I descended train steps after a night caught in the blackout of '65. And the time my favorite hat blew away, also in the train station, how he made me laugh hysterically. "That's okay, Nick. You wore that hat too much, anyway." Or way, way back, when a wave came crashing over our heads. Not a worry. I was safe in his arms. He set me up for life, securing my self-esteem...

I can spot male chauvinism and/or condescension from a mile away. As recently as last week, we met with a highly recommended carpenter to consider a lake-house project. He made the mistake of ignoring my input and speaking over me and directly to Joe, several times. Joe knew. I knew. End of story. Bringing me to...

Dad's quick and loving bond with Joe - fifty years ago, when we were just kids. And that tells the highly significant story of another great man, great husband and friend… and amazing father. A fantastic role model for Brian and Christian. 

To all my men - have a happy Father's Day, tomorrow. Our family is blessed. And it all began with the Great American Firemark, who would be thrilled to know that Maya's real first name is none other than Marguerite!