Friday, July 31, 2009

Befitting July

Conflicting articles proclaim two flowers to be the birth specialty for the month of July; the Larkspur and the Water Lily. I choose the latter. It is a given, for me.

The home of my youth was on a pretty lake in Massapequa. Water Lilies grew in abundance, necessitating occasional dredging. Without it, the possibility of The Boat That I Row (ND) was impossible. The flowers and big leaves were so pretty, though. After Dad risked life and limb to gather a few for Mom, she would float them on water in a gorgeous cut-glass dish, a family heirloom; I can reclaim that image. You see, I have a history with the Water Lily.

So, in bidding Au Revoir to July, I'm a tad saddened that the Saturday of summer is winding down. I'll miss it for eleven months and welcome it by being sure to have some Water Lilies in next year's garden pond; I promise, G-d willing, of course.

Here's to a sunny August?