Sunday, July 5, 2009

H.O.R.S.E.

Perhaps there has been mention here and there of the rainy weather June offered. A new day has come. Very early this morning, I moved a lounge to the far end of the pool and parked myself on it, first cup of java in hand. I needed to see the sun's ascent over the trees, as it arrived with all of its promise for a brilliant day.

Whether on the beach or near the pool, if it involves a lounge chair, a camera is by my side. I love shooting from sand or patio chairs, taking in whatever the perspective has to offer.

When Joe later joined me, I had just given thought to the big old basketball backboard and net, as it appeared peeking through the trees from this vantage point. Perhaps a post about the many memories revolved around that hoop? With Joe's comment, "You can see the basketball net through the space in the trees from here! Remember when.......?", my blog for the day was clinched! Our impeccably timed, identical trains of thought never cease to amaze me.
It's so easy to recall the "bounce, bounce" of the ball. Joe, Brian and Christian played many a game, occasionally inviting Mom in for a round or two of H.O.R.S.E. Thankfully, our home was always the hub at which our sons and their friends congregated, everyone always hitting the "court". Christian never entered the house, even as an adult student, without first dribbling and shooting. Tommy, a mutual friend of the boys, would wander over from his house to play hard. He and Christian were fierce, once finding a pair of eyeglasses knocked off a head and smashed on the driveway. Brian would just look at them in sheer amazement, leaving the Battle On The Driveway for a more peaceful pass-time. Yes, I can hear the "bounce, bounce". Happy memories! Dino said it best.