Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Aibileen

In this instance, I'm of the opinion that the film was actually better than the book. It stands on its own, with 2-1/2 hours being adequate time to properly develop each character. "The Help" is a period piece, its outstanding cast bringing to life the Southern way. It takes place in Mississippi during the Kennedy era civil rights movement. I often tease that G-d made a mistake when he landed me in upstate NY rather than by the sea on Kaua'i. But I must say that He sure did get it right when He designated me a Northerner. Watch for Oscar Gold to Viola Davis... she was brilliant. A bit slow to start, by its finale one is wanting more. On our rating scale of 10 being the best, Joe gave it a solid 7, with higher scores for acting. I agree and would elevate thespian accomplishments to 10s across the board. It was lovely to see Cicely Tyson on the screen. Out on DVD and available on pay-per, we recommend this film.