Thursday, March 18, 2010

DOF

So, my new Nikon and I are becoming best buds, traveling together, both near and far. Worlds of creativity are welcoming me, encouraging thought outside of the box. I've begun entering photos into contests here and there, sadly reporting that nothing has won so much as an honorable mention. Don't cry for me, Argentina; herein lies a good lesson! There is just so much to learn... and relearn.

Depth of field is an option I now have... something I paid little attention to, back in the days of our Minolta 35mm system. Hey, just ignore that old-dogs-and-new-tricks adage. Just triple-double-dare me!

My precious Hunter presented me with the beautiful Valentine rose; and the resulting perfection in DOF was by sheer chance. But check out the planned pepper mill. Please let me explain that contest holders have suggested the off-center placement of subjects. Jeesh. Blurry backgrounds and misplaced subjects... gotta luv the challenge of accomplishing the exact opposite of what I've always strived for. The pepper mill definitely "pops", doesn't it? And, I see the need to polish its brass knob. The naked eye is much kinder on flaws. Nonetheless, maybe this mess would win a prize?