Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Personality

A challenge of sorts came my way this morning. In speaking to the rewards of my daily blog with Joe and our plumber, the fix-it man said to me, "So... what? Are you going to write about the plumber today?" Joe and I laughed, answering simultaneously, "You never know." Now, please allow me explain.

Our plumber isn't someone we call twice a year, resent paying for services, curse as he's walking out the door, and hope to never see again. Far from it. He's an old friend, albeit one we only encounter... well, when the boiler breaks down, as it did last night. Still, whatever the beyond-fair charge for services rendered, our return is twentyfold in conversation and warmth.

Over lunch, Joe reminded me of a chapter in (link) Robert Fulghum's ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN. "Nick, remember what you've always said about the barber in 'that book' you read, years ago?" Well, yes, I sure do remember. In addressing how one assesses the importance of others in his/her life, Mr. F. told the story of an old barber whose services he had used for decades. The barber seemingly ranked as an "acquaintance". It wasn't until his demise that Mr. F. realized the relationship transcended haircuts. The barber had become a confidante and friend - a significant other with whom to share life's experiences and emotions. Gone. Poof. 
TERRIBLY MISSED.

Joe continued by pointing out that we don't frequent our personal conversations with chit-chat of our friend; but we're always so happy to see him, chat with him, laugh with him. Like Mr. F.'s barber, he's just plain in our lives. "He's a personality," said Joe.

An Anecdote: About ten years ago, he was to gut our "big" bathroom to install a specially ordered Jacuzzi. After a certain amount of mandatory extraction, he said to me, "Nicki, are you sure that you want everything ripped out? I've installed new rooms that don't look as good as this one." Well, he got my wheels turning; I revamped the entire plan, saving a bundle.

Now, I shall have to print and mail this entry to our Friend, 'cause he detests computers; they detract from real time spent catching up with old friends. No, he's not old - just a bit beyond our Brian, in years - but we sure qualify! I won't reveal his name or post his picture; but check out his immaculate work. How many zone controls does your boiler have?
In keeping with the true message of of the Fulghum story, Joe and I just thought our "Personality" should know right now that his friendship is valued.

Sollfire approves the use of this entry for advertising purposes. Smile!