Sunday, March 21, 2010

Pack 'Em With Nutrition

My Baby Grands love pancakes. No matter what time of day they arrive, we find ourselves heating up the griddle. Aubs likes the chocolate chip variety; but I squashed that "habit" the other day. I pre-made nutrition-packed cakes. They were a huge hit. She has a pretty fine palate, at only seven. Recognizing a favorite ingredient, she exclaimed, "G'ma! They have cinnamon in them!!" I was anxious to duplicate the recipe for our Sunday morning brunch, adding berries to the equation (something the kids like only on the side). You'll have to figure amounts to get the consistency you like... thinner or thicker batter. It's easy; just use this blend:

Mash a small banana in a bowl. Add one egg and liquid (I had leftover Vanilla Soy, the kids' fave... so, I used it. YUM~). Add a couple tablespoons of unsweetened applesauce and lots of cinnamon. Mix well. Stir in as much pancake mix (whole wheat here) as needed. Last, but certainly not least in an adult world... berries galore.
Joe likes them served with pure maple syrup; be sure to warm it up. I like mine with a bit of low-fat plain yogurt. Garnish with banana.


To Note: Make them gluten-free by using your special flour mix. Need them a tad sweeter? Just put a bit of maple syrup in the batter, keeping them all natural.