Thursday, May 6, 2010

I'm Impressed ♡

Back in the day, we were ac-
quainted with an old soul whose phrasing was somewhat crude in opining about this and that. One theory concerned his kids: "I'll spend everything I have before I die; I'm not leaving them a cent." Another referenced his wife and Mother's Day: "She's not my mother; I'm not obligated to buy a flower or card." A real family guy, eh? Had to luv him on the ski slopes, though... a Peter Pan at heart, who would travel four hours one way to take four runs on a desirous Black Diamond... then drive for four more hours to return home. (Hmmm, it occurs to me here that maybe he was just cheap!) Okay, enough, 'cause in the long run, I'm inspired to recognize the amazing qualities of my own man, by virtue of comparison. Let's take it back to Mother's Day... well, actually, let's take it back even further.

Many moons ago, the owner of a nearby nursery hybridized a variety of begonias that were rain-forest lush. We would buy four pots of them for our front portico; they thrived. When the nursery's doors were closed for good, we never found comparable plants again... until...

Joe arrived home on Tuesday with two magnificent begonias of the same variety. We have discovered another incredible nurseryman, Gary, who takes enormous pride in bringing the exotic to his patrons. I found the plants hanging on my front porch - an early Mother's Day gift. I was extremely impressed to learn that Joe recognized the variety as those of days gone by. He told Gary that I used to plant them with a vine; Gary knew immediately that Joe spoke of Vinca Vine. He assured Joe that the vine is unnecessary, as the pots will be covered in no time at all. Memory tells me that Gary is correct in this prediction.

So, how 'bout that? Not only does Joe make me feel cherished as a wife and mom to our two sons, but he remembers a plant??!!??!! Now, I'll have to take back everything I've said about "not listening/paying attention" to some of my trivial, repetitious chatter. Score a big one! Pasta and sauce for dinner tonight? Seems fair, 'cause you know how miserable it can be when one doesn't bring you flowers anymore!

Addendum: My Joe is the same guy who sent Mother's Day cards to my Mom, "signed" from her Black Lab, Candy, for the duration of that cute pooch's existence. Just gotta luv him, that's for sure.