Monday, September 7, 2009

Back To Basics Part VI - More Joe


(please left double-click photo)
This little collage illustrates "Where it began..." (ND) for me and my Joe. The new and improved version of "our" bungalow still sports the redwood fence on its side porch; my Dad built that, when I was just a little girl. We visit often to recollect many a favorite family anecdote. You see, my G'ma Mary and G'pa Nicholas (my namesake) bought this property when my Mom was just a little girl. Mom is now ninety, but still vividly recalls her own happy childhood memories made there. It was sold when my Gran was in her eighties, decades ago. Much to my Mom's and my amazement, though, we find ourselves living not far from what used to seem like another world.

Joe and I met because of this little place. After high school graduation and right before my eighteenth birthday, I was no longer able to spend summers with my bro, cousins and Gran at our summer place. Regardless, I went with my family to help my Gran "open" the bungalow. Gran's sister had arrived earlier in the week, unbeknownst to us; the house was clean and sparkly, by the time we arrived. Thus, my brother and I were free to go to Masten Lake for the day. I met Joe that day; the rest is history.

Now, to connect the dots, bringing me to my current "Basics" theme. Joe and I are still perking. Yep; we put the big drip conglomerate away in the closet till we're secure enough to completely part with it. So, over our first cup of joe this morning, we were discussing grounds.... garden and coffee grounds, that is.

I vividly recall my Gran sending me outdoors with the remnants of the morning coffee and the request to "Please put these in the garden, Honey." I did - religiously. Meanwhile, Joe recalls his own childhood and a man he knew to house earthworms in a can of java grounds. These breakfast anecdotes brought us to...... well, you know..... Internet research. Have a gander at our results, please; and be sure to link from the provided site to "Grow Joe", as well:
We'll be composting our grounds and feeding our other grounds from here on, in a back-to-basics attempt to grow even more glorious garden gifts. Here's to your first cup!