Monday, September 21, 2009

Okonomiyaki... My Way


'Tis the season to get back into the kitchen and try at least one new recipe per week. Ah, the challenge is grand, but the ingredients remain consistent, my faves for fall.

Okonomiyaki, somewhere between a pancake and a pizza, looks interesting, (link) JapaneseStyle; but wild horses couldn't convince me to touch that salty topping or mayonnaise finish. Here's my version:

To a basic batter (1 c. unbleached flour; 1 cup water; 1 egg; season as desired), I add spaghetti squash, cooked al dente (just pierce and nuke on paper towels...quickly split open to stop cooking and cool); roasted red peppers (the kitchen smells amazing); shrimp (buy them at Sam's for such recipes; they work); lots of chopped chives and fresh tomatoes, still thriving in my garden; and.... and whatever else strikes me, between now and the pan. My Way dressing consists of low-fat, plain Greek yogurt, mixed with spicy mustard and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Pile on a few more chopped chives, after dressing.

A couple of hints for success:
Anything goes; do them your way!
Load the ingredients into the batter.
Spread them thin, thin, thin on your griddle.

Bon Appetit.
Next-Night Spaghetti Squash... just heat and eat