Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Three Times A Charm



My first attempt at growing Calla Lilies in our sometimes-trying zone occurred when my gardening mentor, Lynn T., was still with us. When I told her of blooming success, she was thrilled. When I lifted the bulbs for winter, she thought it a mistake and said they would have survived the cold, if left in the ground.

The second attempt also produced gorgeous flowers, but leaving the bulbs intact post-summer did not work. The ensuing winter was particularly tough.

I don't give up easily. Again this year, in went a brilliant variety of Callas. Seems to be they loved monsoon season! They have grown by leaps and bounds, flowering prolifically. I'm thrilled! Oh, and not to worry about deep frost this time 'round. Huge seed pods have formed and there will be babies in the spring. Research tells me that each pod contains as many as fifty seeds to be collected from its little kernels. I'm psyched.