Sunday, September 5, 2010

Utterly Udder-ly Magnificent

Yesterday, we headed to Ulster County yet again, in pursuit of we-didn't-know-what at the Woodstock-New Paltz juried arts and crafts show. The most interesting non-repetitious pic I took was of this cutie pie, there to demonstrate just why alpaca sweaters are the only way to go... or, so we were told. 
Heading homeward to the campgrounds where Bri et al are doing their thing this weekend, I commented to Joe that "...it was a relatively nonproductive photo-shooting day." No sooner did I utter the words, when there appeared lots of udders. Upon closer glance, we observed a field full of magnificent farm animals of several varieties.

It is not difficult to under-
stand why our new friend, Charlie, enjoys animal photography so much. Cooperation is exemplified to the fullest; and always, there are surprises.

As I shot away, something above caught my attention. I thought, "Hmmm, a hawk in such a beautiful sky would certainly enhance this set." I focused in on my subject and noticed white... WHITE! Sure enough, an eagle soared above us. Of course, super zoom was in the camera bag; but that's okay... ya think, Charlie? (Added a few hours post-post: What Charlie thinks - knows - and has just, most apologetically and graciously, informed me of is that my "bald eagle" is, in reality, a turkey vulture. Just Google a few images to confirm my ignorance!) However...

Joe tells me that the Rio Reservoir, home to many eagles, is just a few wing-flaps from where we were, at Sackett Lake. 
We arrived at the site just as the sun was setting on the water. After greetings, hugs and kisses, I began my sunset shoot. Aubs immediately accommodated me by standing at the water for this beautiful semi-silhouette.

Gavin was very busy venting on the swing set, holding me off for a tad and explaining, "But G'ma, the sun will hurt my eyes." Responded I, "You're right, Honey. Just don't look at the sun. Look down at the water or the sand." That idea appealed to my flighty little chickadee; he ran towards the water and gifted me this peaceful pose...
Afterwards, he bounded into my arms and said, "G'ma, I just closed my eyes!" Precious moment.

We had been invited to join in a barbecue hosted by several families. As the grills heated up, Aubs and all the other adorable girls practiced their "show" for later in the evening. They were so full of fun; I couldn't resist this shot of Aubs and Erin taking bows, under the guidance of the producer-parent...
A nice day; we feel blessed. Here's to all G-d's creatures, great and small.
That's all she wrote.