Saturday, April 7, 2012

Holiday Mountain Eagle Sighting

Last week, we took a ride to Plank Road, but of course migrating birds are long gone and residents did not grace us with an appearance. Here for birding acquaintances, though, is this morning's tale of woe and bliss:
Another Day * Circa 2010

I was heading eastbound at about 10:00 a.m. and nearing Exit 110, when I spotted one big bird, flying over Wanaksink Lake. The sky was crystal clear and redefined "sky blue". As I came out of the exit, opposite the lake, there he was, right above the treetops. I pulled over to watch, window down, as he crossed Old 17/Wurtsboro Mt. Road to head back to the Neversink. White tail and head feathers were right at my fingertips, but Nikon was home. Bad, bad photographer.

How lucky to have such royalty soaring above Stacey, Sylvan and the ski hill. Next time...