Friday, April 27, 2012

The Vow

For me, the most difficult task of the grand jury is maintaining the required vow of secrecy. All that one is allowed to say is, "I am serving on the grand jury." Period. As the DA stated, "There are no Grisham novels, here." Pity, eh? And so it goes, and so it goes.

I am allowed, however, to mention that I'd not seen a certain court stenographer in over forty years, since law firm employment. I noticed this now-elderly gentleman and thought, "He must love his job." He's quite dapper looking, with thick, gray, spiked hair and perfect attire, from a gorgeous linen jacket right down to spit-shiny shoes. It took me a while to make the connection. Well, actually I didn't make the connection, till his name was mentioned. Then, my thoughts were all over the place. Wow, how time flies, only to sink you into a time warp.

'Twas the same when I heard that Barbra turned seventy, this past week. Can it be almost fifty years that she's been entertaining us? Did y'all know that she'll play Mama Rose in the incomparable "Gypsy"? Thing is, the part calls for a much younger woman, but I've got the faith... Ms. Streisand can accomplish anything she sets her brilliant mind to. Talk about a time warp.

So, for the next eight weeks, I'll commit to keeping under wraps the stories of those whose lives shall be discussed in front of a panel of strangers. People. Clearly, we mark time together. Clearly, we touch each other. No secret there.