Saturday, March 5, 2011

First In Forty

Somewhere in the depths of all this chitchat, surely I've mentioned the Holiday Mountain eagle. Brian made us aware of his presence, as baldie is frequently seen soaring above the trails and nearby river. He/she seems to be a loner, not yet paired off with a lifelong love. Ooooh-kay....
Rio Baldie - another Wednesday photo
We've now seen him on multiple occasions, and even had a lost photo op, last Sunday, as we returned home from the hill. My 300mm lens and I simply could not get him in focus, as he flitted about a cloudy sky. Hey, easy on me... I'm still a student. Now, to the most unbelievable aspect of this anecdote...

Mom called at ten, yesterday morning. As I stood by the great room's slider and glanced towards the cerulean blue sky, there he was. Low. Sailing right towards me. Without the aid of a power zoom, I could see his eyes, before he disappeared over the roofline. 

First in forty years on Stacey. Yes, maybe he'll return. However, I know not if he is a resident bird (only a few around here) or a wintering variety (numbers growing). Time is waning for capturing the latter, as they'll soon leave for their own nesting sites. We shall see, but for yesterday...

Ask me where my camera was.