Friday, March 2, 2012

Talkin' Words

LITTLE BEE by Chris Cleave
Don't you just love words? Playing WORDS. Writing words. Reading words. Learning new ones. And G-d only knows, talkin' them. 

The English language is so intriguing, isn't it? The way differing letter combinations make the same sound, such as to/too/two or they're/their/there... or how about vowel pronunciations for variations of the same word, as sē-nile or sen-ility, each spelled with the same se, at its beginning? 

When I read from my iPad, I'm fascinated by the luxury of digital note-taking and automatic saving. Further options allow me to print or e-mail my choices. Thanks, Mac... how delightful. On that note, pun intended, when I came across this passage from my current read, I thought to share it. See what you think of the main character's opinion of our language:

This was always my trouble when I was learning to speak your language. Every word can defend itself. Just when you go to grab it, it can split into two separate meanings so the understanding closes on empty air. I admire you people. You are like sorcerers and you have made your language as safe as your money. 

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss
It seems that my local KidGrands share my fascination. A few weeks back, Gavin came home, saying, "G'ma, I learned the new word, 'infer', today." He then proceeded to define it for me. Thus began our very own version of WORDS WITH FRIENDS G'MAI purchased Moleskines for each of them, entitling one "Words With Aubrey" and the other "Words With Gavin"... shiny and new safe havens for their treasures. (Not to worry - Hunter's and Chloe's are ready to go, upon our next visit.) It has been incredible to observe the rapid growth of our game. For example, Aubrey must have commented at least a dozen times, yesterday, "G'ma, you just said a new word." Well, think about how kids hear dozens and dozens of new words each and every day. Thing is, they mostly understand their meanings, in the context of conversations. But taking or having the time to actually notice, discuss and write them... why that's a whole new dimension.

This is so exciting to me, as herein lies a quest that shall last a lifetime, for never shall there truly be a **penultimate** syllable. 

When I finish the book, I'll be back to review it properly. Meanwhile, I'm definitely enjoying the author's unique word-crafting; it has me laughing and crying, at the same time.