Sunday, November 16, 2014

THE PARIS WIFE by Paula McClain

After two months of illness and recovery, I finally found clearer vision and focus, focus, focus, thus allowing me to return to this fantastic book that I began over the summer. Now, with only a few pages to go in the historical novel that started out a tad on the slow side, I don't want it to end. Hmmm. This might be the reason I took a blog break in the middle of an intense paragraph.

Told in the voice of Hadley, Ernest Hemingway's first wife, it affords the reader time spent with the Lost Generation of the 1920s. Fledgling-to-famous writers and bohemian artists mingled in what quickly became a hedonistic world… clearly a fast lane, especially when it came to keeping love 'n' romance alive. Poor Hadley. It's not a spoiler to say that she didn't stand a chance.
Kudos to Ms. McClain. I'll seek out more of her work. Give it a read, if you have a chance, and be amazed by the list of must-read literature one comes away with!