Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Cover This!

Just two days after mentioning Rod Stewart, lo and behold, the real RS appeared on GMA. A familiar voice emanated from the living room, where the TV was on, but no one was watching. Soooooooo, of course I had to stop in my tracks.

Seems as though Rod has a new cover (dreaded word amongst Neil fans) album out. He says that livelier versions of "That Old Black Magic", and such, are something he'll tour with: "...you need uptempo songs to keep the audience involved..." 
Ahem.

I regret never having seen him in concert; he's terrific. There are only so many concert $$$$'s per year, though; and we've been fortunate in experiencing Neil Diamond, Billy Joel, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, U2, Dion and so many others... multiple times, over many years. But still, we should have seen Rod when audience involvement was of the real-rockin' variety; not that I don't love ballads, too... sometimes more so.
I digress...

This is a bit of an inside post for ND friends; I apologize. It's just that I don't think we'll be shakin' the stands much to his new cover stuff. It's dreary. Good, but dreary. Just give me some Brother Love or Maggie May. The fact of the matter is, boomers and their favorite rock stars are aging. Oooh! Did I just realize that?