Thursday, January 27, 2011

Bird Bias

Scores of favorite birds flocked to our yard, this morning. The snow brought them out in full force, even though we had a mere four inches, last night. Many surrounding areas experienced well over a fresh foot of the white and not-so-fluffy stuff. During my photo shoot, visitors included cardinals, nuthatches, chickadees, goldfinches, titmice, bluejays and slate-colored juncos. Isn't that incredible?
Nuthatch - This Morning
(even more adorable when feeding upside down)

All those mentioned are always welcomed. However, there are several varieties I discriminate against.

The other day, I was startled by a dozen starlings. Hopefully, they were just passing through. UGH. They are gross to look at and known for carrying disease. They brought to mind the creeped-out feeling I experienced years ago from Alfred Hitchcock's (link) "The Birds". I can only think, "Stay away from my window....," and give you Rod.