Sunday, January 16, 2011

Remember When?

Photo Jay L. Clendenin
LOS ANGELES TIMES
Ah, "True Grit" is from a time gone by. This boomer was a huge Roy and Dale fan, as a child. Gran even took me and baby brother to see them at Madison Square Garden. As a teen, I hung out with Dad; we watched Matt Dillon, Miss Kitty, Paladin, Little Joe and Hoss. I don't think John Wayne's Reuben Rooster Cogburn was on my viewing list, though; never much of a Duke fan. However...

The Dude is another story - and when he plays Rooster, we go to the movies. Terrific acting; so, what else is new? Only had to hide my eyes twice. Lots of unexpected humor. Visually gorgeous, with its winter snow scenes. A budding fourteen-year-old, Hailee Steinfeld, to watch for during those Oscar nominations. My only gripe...

Again, I'm waiting for JB's next(?) role, where he's back to looking like... well, looking like himself. Man, is he grimy and dirty in this part. One more thing, mentioning here that perhaps I'm biased, but...

I gave the flick a whopping "9" on our scale where "10" is the best (2 points for childhood nostalgia). Joe? Jeesh; only a "6" (low for "weak story"). Go figure.