Monday, January 17, 2011

Sizzled-To-Perfection Steak

Joe might argue that steak barbe-
cued outdoors is the best; that is, till I employ a certain indoor technique, using a very vintage pan.

My sand-chair-loving beach buddy and fellow Massapequan, Jean Lewis, gave us the sizzle pan and under-plate (long gone) on a special occasion when we were exchanging gifts. During an enormously coincidental moment in time, we swopped identical items. She died shortly thereafter, leaving many saddened friends and relatives behind. To this day, I think of her when I'm at the beach, when I sizzle, and then some. She was a doll. Here's my way:

These days, we're into lean, thick slabs of sirloin that I marinate in balsamic and EVOO, seasoned with garlic, pepper and paprika. Out of this mixture and onto my sizzle pan goes the beef, to be popped under a very hot broiler for two or three minutes on each side. Removed from the oven and onto a board to be quickly sliced on the bias, meat is then returned to hot pan, as I go (be sure each slice touches the heat). Voila! In moments, it's done to absolute perfection... rare, tender and juicier than one can possibly imagine. 

Food photo to come, eventually. Are you reading, Jean? 
Buon Appetito