Saturday, December 4, 2010

Blame The Gene Pool ♡

C'est moi, modeling one of Gran's gorgeous
creations - next to Sewing Santa, a gift from
 Brian, during my quilting heyday






Gran was a master seamstress; I've spoken to this before. In addition to her sophisticated Fifth Avenue work, she sewed at home, on a heavy-duty factory machine. Even the summer bungalow was equipped with a resident Singer. So there is the foundation; I learned by osmosis and still cling to her last piece of dressmaker's wax. It's a good luck charm. However...
Fun quilt by moi, made with fabrics found in Park Slope, 
during Christian's Brooklyn Law days

After completing double wedding ring quilts for the boys and their lovely brides, I swore off the hobby. I told Joe, "If ever you see me cutting fabric into little pieces to then be sewn back together, just bludgeon me on the spot." Then, I sold my sophisticated, pricey Pfaff and ALL of my supplies. That was about five years ago; I never looked back... well, till our local tailor began charging outrageous prices for simple repairs like, um, reinforcing a seam. I thought it might be a good idea to have a little technology handy.
Do you know how small a MacBook is?



Enter Hello Kitty. Gran's laughing, right about now. But, I couldn't resist the hundred-dollar price tag and scores of positive reviews, such as the following: "This workhorse is handy due to its small size. I find myself using it more than my three-thousand-dollar machine. Buy it. You'll love it."  I did. I do. Plus, it makes me smile. Now, I just need some time to play... repairs can wait. And besides, Aubs is into funky fashion, like her G'ma. She needs to know how to make a batik sarong. 
Touché! 
Favored hobby - adorned in favorite attire 
at place I to BE
If you'd like to say, "Hello Kitty," link here.