Saturday, June 20, 2015

Jungle Habitat Extension - Over and Under

Since I'd already dubbed the Old Homestead with its nickname, "Jungle Habitat," a slightly revised alternate was necessary for the LakeHouse. "Extension" works for me, as we're inundated with wildlife, here on Golden Pond. Hopefully, you'll agree that all these critters and creatures make for interesting photo ops. Some opportunities, however are missed…

Consider, for example, our awakening on Thursday morning to garbage all over the yard. We weren't sure if the culprit was a bear or raccoon. However, when we noticed another's similar dilemma, the bear theory was confirmed. Furthermore, our receptacle is under the deck, behind a post, with a locking lid and it's heavy…. 'twas dragged out and strewn about as though a bucket of weightless feathers. We eat well. Big Blackie must have been pleased. Eventually, I'll capture him with my lens. But for now…

A robin decided to nest under the upper deck. Sure, we can see it and momma flying in and out from the lower patio view… but then there are the eggs, barely visible from the over side on the deck. Tough to angle in for a decent capture, but you'll get the gist if you look hard - really hard. :-) Moving along to yesterday morning…

Old habits are hard to break; therefore, I continue to take my morning garden stroll, NIK in hand, here at our new digs. First the side beds; then the roadside, after which I bound down to the patio and lakeside. Yesterday's surprise came by way of a large nest, built overnight by scores of ambitious yellow jackets that were swarming around it, when I arrived. Location??? Right next to the birds. Jeesh. Didn't they know about squatters rights?? That puppy had to go. What you're seeing here is an after-the-spray shot. My hero came down, bomb in hand, and made that sucker all shiny, its residents gone forever. Can't get sentimental about those stingers. On to some jungle blooms and a small sampling of…




Yesterday's flowers. Check out Mom's pink anemone roses (Zu, are you here?). I see her in every one of them, enjoying from her perch on my shoulder. Couldn't resist adding the apricot minis, last summer. They survived the brutality of winter. Now, please excuse me

It's time for today's surprises.
Happy Saturday to y'all.