Thursday, May 21, 2009

Are We "Free To Be...You And Me"? One More Vote For Adam Lambert...

ThisLinkedAnalysis from the BOSTON HERALD was made prior to the final vote that elected this year's American Idol.  I pretty much concur with all it says, knowing that so many issues beyond talent factor into the choice of a winner. Though promoted as a "singing competition", the show often ends up as a popularity contest. In retrospect, it's hard not to wonder how far society has come in truly allowing us to BeFree, as Marlo Thomas wished for children of the Boomers, back in 1972. 

Adam's "uniqueness" reminds me of Elvis, so very different from his predecessors and scary to the parents of my generation. I struggled to have my parents accept him; they ultimately did, of course. Adam's "looks" remind me of David Bowie or Freddie Mercury, awesome androgynous performers from whom one never knows/knew what to expect! Black nail polish and eyeliner just do not bother me; period. The vote "against him" reminds me of Neil Diamond and how fans such as myself know he  belongs in the Rock 'N' Roll Hall Of Fame, but politics have kept him out....just as the idle "Idol" vote had the ability to keep Adam from what I (personally) see as a rightful win, based on talent.  He rocks that talent, and I think he and it have incredible staying power.

Still, I am truly happy for Kris Allen and would never diminish his win. As the mother of two beautiful sons, I see him as a darling. This said and considering former "Idol" winners-by-popularity, the trophy represents just the first baby step. As Diane Sawyer mentioned on GMA this morning, the title win is one thing, but the "career win" has yet to be seen. I can only wonder, after watching Adam front Kiss, on what stage I'll be seeing my choice for the Idol of 2009. I'm not even a fan of Gene Simmons, but I smiled during the entire performance!