Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Essence Of Music

"I AM MUSIC, most ancient of the arts. + I am more than ancient; l am eternal. + Even before life commenced upon this earth, I was here in the winds and the waves. + When the first trees and flowers and grasses appeared, I was among them. + And when Man came, I at once became the most delicate, most subtle, and most powerful medium for the expression of Man's emotions. When men were little better than beasts, I influenced them for their good. +In all ages I have inspired men with hope, kindled their love, given a voice to their joys, cheered them on to valorous deeds, and soothed them in times of despair. + I have played a great part in the drama of Life, whose end and purpose is the complete perfection of man's nature. + Through my influence human nature has been uplifted, sweetened and refined. + With the aid of men, I have become a Fine Art. From Tubalcain to Thomas Edison a long line of the brightest minds have devoted themselves to the perfection of instruments through which men may utilize my powers and enjoy my charms. + I have myriads of voices and instruments. I am in the hearts of all men and on their tongues, in all lands and among all peoples; the ignorant and unlettered know me, not less than the rich and learned. + For I speak to all men, in a language that all understand. Even the deaf hear me, if they but listen to the voices of their own souls. + I am the food of love. + I have taught men gentleness and peace; and I have led them onward to heroic deeds. + I comfort the lonely, and I harmonize the discord of crowds. + I am a necessary luxury to all men. + I am MUSIC. -"

ALLAN C. INMAN