Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Conspiracy Theory

My Catholic half observes the fact that today is Ash Wednesday by setting goals to reach during Lent. Always, though, it is from within and not dictated by the higher ups in the religious dynasty known as The Church. C'est moi - not sayin' it's right. 
Quick segue here...

Even as a young child, I questioned the practice of one human being's confession of "sins" to another (sinless???) human being. That's what a priest is. Period. Hey, I'm a believer, but no priest is G-d. And to think that little, one-digit-number-in-age children go into an enclosed booth with a stranger to confess WHAT? Makes my skin crawl. I've known amazing priests... and I've observed creeps... all members of a 'hood, except that their word is gospel, pun intended, 'cause after all, they are revered. 
Bringing me to...

"Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence In The House Of God", a must-see documentary that could easily be classified as a horror film. No words. Just watch... please. It is currently airing on HBO. Prepare yourself. No photos for this entry, as I attempt to wipe clean the slate that is my brain. This film's images, suggested and real, are beyond disturbing.

All this does not diminish my feel for a season of good intentions. It just further confirms my innate sense of the mandatory need to exercise extreme caution whenever and wherever our children are exposed. Suspicion prevails and danger DOES lurk...

And the Pope (a hot subject in the film) resigns, as I step off the pulpit. Wishing y'all a successful Lenten season.