Monday, June 16, 2014

Pasta 'n' Crumbs

Need a carb fix? There's no better way to double the dose than by indulging in a delicious dish of pasta and crumbs. When we've accumulated too much of too many varieties of bread and rolls in the freezer, I dedicate about an hour to it and my Cuisinart, making bags of coarse crumbs. Seasoned as I go with garlic powder and paprika, back into the frigid zone it goes, ready for so many uses. My favorite has to be this dish. It's a bit different than the (link) super-quick version I blogged once before:

While your pasta-of-choice is cooking, sauté a hefty amount of crumbs in EVOO, adding fresh lemon juice, pepper and parsley to taste. Add al dente pasta to crisp crumb mixture and toss. Loosen with that **starchy water** you've saved from the pasta pot or low-sodium chicken broth that has been warmed. Play with amounts till your own taste buds are satisfied.

**You should always save a cup of water from the pot of nearly-cooked pasta. When too much sauce is absorbed, just a bit of it will bring a dish to perfection.**
My cousin, Evelyn, tells me that her Italian-born Mom made this dish every Christmas Eve, flavoring the oil with anchovies. Meatless for the before-midnight occasion, it was a favorite. While anchovies are not for us, I loved the memory.

So many classic Italian dishes are of the peasant food variety. For me, they're gourmet to the last bite…
especially when angel hair is the star.

Buon Appetito! And remember! It's even better al fresco.