Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Let-Me-Tell-You-What-I-Did Faux Lasagna

Carmela of DeFilippis in our hometown has recently added fresh mozzarella to her repertoire. Joe bought a huge chunk, a couple weeks ago. Fresh mozz is my favorite food. When properly made, its purity is so very tantalizing. For the sake of my waistline, I immediately cut it into thirds, keeping one portion for immediate consumption and freezing the rest. Today, it was the last bit left that inspired dinner.
With the cheese, a few Barilla no-boil lasagna noodles, plain Chobani/Greek nonfat yogurt and a small container of thick venison sauce from the freezer, I layered. The top layer of pasta and mozz was sprinkled with some EVOO and parsley. For extra liquid, I poured almond milk (fake béchamel???) over the entire shebang, covered with foil and baked for half an hour at 325 degrees… and another 15 minutes, uncovered.

By the way, I made this in an oval, just-for-two dish. Break the noodles, if need be, to fill those corners. 

No eggs. No ricotta. The only decadence is in that mozz. Quick. Easy as pie. Delicious with a wilted spinach side salad.

A Less Is More Recipe
Buon Appetito!